- Develop a customer-centric strategy for the portfolio and hold team accountable to deliver against the priorities that ladder up to that strategy.
- Be innovative, creative, and tenacious in finding new ways to drive the business.
- Engage with the sales leadership team and equip the sales force to achieve their goals.
- Manage the financial performance of the portfolio and achieve budgeted sales, EBITDA, rate, and inventory levels.
- Manage and coach a team of Merchants who are responsible for the financial performance of their categories. To achieve financial targets, these merchants are building assortments that meet our customers’ needs, shaping demand, creating exceptional shopping and sales experiences, influencing pricing and promotions, and ensuring accurate inventory levels.
- Effectively partner and influence other cross-functional partners, such as Pricing, Site Merchandising, Marketing, Portfolio, Inventory + Planning, and more.
- Equip team (and get involved when necessary) to negotiate major vendor program agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 10+ years of related experience preferred
- Experience in Merchandising for an eCommerce or B2B business preferred
- Accomplished in holding a team accountable to achieve measurable results
- Exceptional communication skills; able to articulate perspective to team, cross-functional partners and Staples’ senior leadership team
- Proven ability to influence in a highly matrixed organization
- Demonstrated ability to build strategic partnerships externally, particularly with suppliers
- Exceptional negotiation skills
- Strong business acumen. Able to build expertise in an industry, including trends, customer needs, and competitive threats
- Highly analytical. Able to evaluate “the math” and ensure team is using that math to build or refine plans
- Organized and able to effectively prioritize