Production Facility General Manager - Edison, New Jersey
Position Summary: The Production Facility General Manager oversees all operations of a closed door print production facility to include people, financials and quality control. They are ultimately responsible for meeting and exceeding sales and margin budgets for the facility which includes budgets from a dedicated outside salesforce. Assure the effective functioning of the production facility to provide an efficient and safe working environment for employees and their activities by using best business practices to manage resources, services and processes to meet the Omni-Channel needs of the company. Plan, organize and control production over a facility or segments of work to ensure that goods are produced efficiently, on time, within budget and to standard. Oversee the operations and sustained health of the production facility. Work in partnership with Sr. Operations Manager, fellow General Managers (GM) and Assistant General Managers (AGM) to plan and maintain work systems and process that enable and encourage the optimum performance of people, equipment and other resources and policies across all facilities.
General Purpose: Plan, direct and coordinate the operations of a facility to ensure that goods are produced efficiently, on time, within budget and to quality standards and customer expectations. Determine procedures and maintain systems and processes for operating efficiency. Manage staff for optimum performance.
Customers and Stakeholders
- Develop sound relationships with stakeholders and the community in order to gain mutual benefits.
- Make business decisions that are financially responsible, accountable, justifiable and defensible in accordance with organization policies and procedures.
- Perform to ethical standards, role model integrity and corporate values.
- Achieve facility productivity and quality goals.
- Liaise with business unit leaders. Assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity. Implement and manage operational plans.
- Facilitate coordination and communication between support functions – i.e., print production facilities, all business units, Central Estimating and the Central Order Administration (COA) team. Collaborate regularly with other managers and other designated contacts within the organization.
- Collaborate with partners in lead generation and business development discussions, to assist with developing strategy, pricing, policies and procedures in support of the financial well-being of the company.
- Handle complex and escalated customer issues; resolve customer complaints.
- Develop employee oriented culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, key employee retention, development and optimum performance.
- Promote a diverse culture of collaboration and learning; motivate and encourage employees; delegate responsibility.
- Identify and recruit key talent following Staples hiring and selection practices; provide and support new employee onboarding.
- Influence, coach and develop behaviors and skills for a high performing team.
- Identify and assess associate/team training and development needs utilizing the Staples tools.
- Foster an environment where teamwork, inclusion, diversity, differing perspectives and ideas are respected and valued.
- Utilize the Staples associate recognition program.
- Handle employee relations in partnership with Human Resources.
- Facility management, including safety and security for associates.
Cost and Resource Management
- Manage the overall operational, budgetary, financial responsibilities and activities of the production facility.
- Review performance data that includes financial, sales activity reports and spreadsheets to implement cost control initiatives. Improve profitability, optimize equipment utilization and strategically allocate labor resources.
- Plan and implement systems that fulfill the mission and the goals of the department efficiently and effectively.
- Plan and allocate resources to effectively staff to meet departmental productivity and quality goals.
- Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency and output.
- Produce content, market and promote portfolio of services in coordination with fellow Production Facilities to strategically grow penetration.
- Liaise with company management to promote, support, implement and execute growth initiatives.
- Develop relationships conducive to positive revenue growth and utilization.
- Participate in seminars and conferences; partner with managers to develop awareness of production facilities capabilities.
- Execution of marketing plans for new or existing offerings and products.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years production printing industry experience with people and process management responsibilities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience in business and management principles and practices and strategic planning
- Knowledge of human resource management principles and practices
- Basic economic, accounting and lean manufacturing principles and practices
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office Suite
- Self-directed and collaborative leadership
- Strong presentation and communication skills; ability to correspond professionally
- Demonstrate good judgment and sound decision-making
- Read, understand, interpret business reports, statements and documents
- Resource management
- Planning and organizing
- Problem analysis and creative problem solving
- Delegating tasks and responsibility
- Coaching and counseling
- Critical reasoning and thinking
- Conflict management; negotiation
- Influencing and leading
- Effective management of a fast paced environment
Direct Report: Assistant General Manager
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.