Designer, Furniture Application Specialist (12 Month Contract)
*** INTERIOR DESIGNER ROLE AT NATION’S LARGEST CONTRACT FURNITURE DEALER***
Design @ Workplace Studio by Staples
Workplace Studio by Staples provides comprehensive design and furniture solutions for clients of all sizes & sectors of business. Our team of professionals consults with customers to understand their specific business objectives and creates furniture solutions tailored to meet those needs. We know that it takes teamwork, trust, creativity and skill to develop projects from concept to completion. Our sales professionals, interior designers, project managers, and furniture sales support associates are the best in the business. This role has a solid design foundation with several years of experience in working with clients on detail driven projects. The Designer will have a grasp of the nuances and specific skillsets found in workplace design and contract furniture and be comfortable applying them to their produced designs.
Learn more at www.staplesadvantage.com
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consults with Sales Team in the layout, design and space planning of furniture specifications for client offices. Travel to client’s location to confirm critical site dimensions and/or finishes and other project details.
- Performs programming, space planning, furniture selection, layout, product pricing, design and selection of fabrics and finishes, includes as-built drawings, space plans and final installation drawings for specification and installation of furniture.
- Provides professional customer interface on occasion by attending client planning meetings to determine furniture needs and develops solutions to meet these needs.
- Presents solutions to Sales Team and the Customer as required.
- Offers technical design and creative consultation to customers by answering routine and highly specialized questions regarding furniture systems.
- Coordinates, develops, and reviews proposed project designs, power/data plans with reference to architectural construction/electrical plans. Prepares presentation material including color finish boards. Reviews job site to ensure critical site dimensions and power/data locations suit proposed furniture plans.
- Validates plans against construction, electrical engineering and Architect & Design (A&D) drawing sets and communicates any discrepancies. Provides on-site job inspections comparing construction drawings to final build-out required.
- Develops project specifications, audits specifications against plans, assures specifications are ready for order entry and manages changes and revisions.
- Provides evidence of self-checks for specifications and performs audits of peer’s specifications to ensure accuracy pertaining to quantity, application and finishes.
- Verifies the company design standards have been met and national processes followed.
- Tracks, records and communicates chargeable design hours accrued on specific projects for job costing.
- Works with installers to ensure installation meets customer specifications.
- Provide design support and assistance for on-boarding new team members.
Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
Computer literate (word processing, spreadsheets, project applications)
Working knowledge of furniture design and specification software
Good verbal and written communication skills
Ability to work with mathematical concepts
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
Ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in North America as a designer/specifier in Contract Systems furniture
Minimum of 3 years experience with AutoCAD, 20-20; furniture systems specification experience essential
- Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design is preferred, or other related programs such as Architectural Technologist