Principal Big Data Engineer
If you are someone who enjoys Big Data, data analytics, and designing innovative analytical solutions in a fast-paced work environment, as well as, working with the latest technologies like PySpark, this job may be for you! This role as Big Data engineer is a leader in analytics for Staples, and will be responsible for defining, supporting, and evangelizing our Hortonworks implementation across the enterprise. You will work collaboratively, in a consultative way, across the business units, supporting and mentoring their engineering teams, advising on best approaches to leveraging Big Data in the most effective and efficient manner. You will partner with Staples Digital Solutions (Technology) teams across the enterprise, on a major modernization of data analytics platform initiative, building the foundational components to drive the business. You will also be responsible to develop relationships with leaders in both the business and IT, and bridge the gap, driving successful solutions across the organization. You will challenge and advise the business and your technology partners on the best use of data and reporting assets available, while influencing business priorities and driving results. Business partners will depend on your skill set, experience, and creativity, to build the best solution possible for their business need. There will be a strong focus on delivering robust, flexible solutions that increase business functionality and support the data science and analytics community.
- Enhance, build and support our on-premise BigData platform
- Engage with business partners across the company to understand their analytical needs regarding BigData and Data science
- Defining, evangelizing and supporting technology and business partners who use the platform
- Act as a consultant/advisor in terms of translating business requirements into technical solutions and recommend tools and processes to be used to accomplish the business needs
- Ensure that the team develops and maintains repeatable, systemic processes that continue to make the team more efficient.
- Work with business partners to identify areas where we can use technology to make business processes more efficient.
- Assist in prioritization of projects to ensure overall business objectives and ROI
- Motivate, coach, and serve as a role model and mentor for other development team associates/members that leverage the platform
- Establish standards for access, meta data definition, ELT processes, and downstream data feeds
- Assist in the building of a Lambda Architecture, to increase speed and flexibility for downstream analytics
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, and minimum 5 years of relevant work experience
- Minimum 3 years of BigData and BigData tools with one or more of the following: Hadoop, Sqoop, Hive, Kafka, Spark, Pyspark, Python, or Pig Minimum 3 years of database skills with one or more of the following: SQL Server, Teradata, DB2, Oracle, Netezza
- Minimum 2 years of leading technology engineering teams with a strong track record of execution and mentoring of your peers.
- Minimum 2 years of analytical, systems and project management experience
- Proven experience with designing dimensional data models
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and ability to present complex technical/analytical concepts to executive audience
- Experience leveraging data lifecycle methodologies and Business Intelligence best practices to drive high quality solutions.
- Strong business mindset with ability to collaborate with business partners to identify needs and opportunities for improved data management and delivery.
- Demonstrated passion for advanced data analysis, strong experience with relational databases, SQL, and proficiency using analytic tools to answer business questions
- Ability to work independently with business partners and management to understand their needs and exceed expectations in delivering tools/solutions
- Demonstrated ability to balance the demands of multiple projects and multiple roles depending on size/type of project
- Master’s Degree Excellent planning, prioritization, problem solving skills.
- Experience with Cloud services in AWS or Azure Experience with Hortonworks implementation
- Experience with Predictive Analytics