Director of Reporting & Business Intelligence
The Director of Business Intelligence leads a team dedicated to providing sales management reporting and operational metrics to multiple teams within SBA, the business to business division of Staples. The team reports into Sales Operations and is focused on supporting both outside and inside sales teams to provide best in class operational reporting. In addition to management reporting, the role manages a team responsible for customer reporting requirements within commercial & enterprise and midmarket segments.
This role sets strategic direction for the development, rollout and maintenance of reporting to provide ongoing visibility into operational standards (financial, customer satisfaction, employee engagement, etc.). This individual will draw on resources both from their team as well as across the Company to identify and deploy process improvements, system enhancements and best practices. The director will be responsible for creating the vision of how we can identify opportunities to improve sales productivity by leveraging common metrics, aligning processes, and migrating to common systems that bring operational and financial data together for our sales leaders.
- Act as a product and service champion for all sales intelligence tools and deliverables (including software capabilities, standard reporting, ad-hoc analyses, and strategic recommendations)
- Provide strategic direction for all sales intelligence tools and deliverables
- Develop short-, medium-, and long-term plans to achieve strategic objectives including developing enterprise class business intelligence tools that can be leveraged across SBA
- Partner with RVPs, SVPs, Sales Strategy and President of NAD to determine sales intelligence needs and manage an ongoing project pipeline
- Ensures that financial, customer service and employee engagement targets accurately tracked and reported on in a clear and meaningful manner.
- Partner with SDS teams to ensure critical sales intelligence projects, enhancements and maintenance activities are appropriately prioritized, budgeted, and funded
- Act as a leader in data governance to ensure that metrics are consistent across business units and functions to reduce conflicting metrics. Key partners include Finance, SDS, Marketing, and Sales Leadership.
- Partner with HR to ensure hierarchy data is consistent across sources
- Lead a team of 10+ product and analytic associates to create and execute sales intelligence tools, reports, and analyses
- Manage off-shore subcontractor relationship for report creation and automation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate to a non-technical audience
- Excellent managerial and coaching skills
- Financial acumen and experience in managing internal and external budgets
- Ability to influence thinking and gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations
- Ability to prioritize complex, competing initiatives
- Ability to drive results through the use of data and analytics
- High-level understanding of technical development processes and procedures
- Expertise in multiple business intelligence platforms including Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, Microstrategy or similar tools
- Experience with integrating solutions into Salesforce.com or other CRM systems
- Bachelor’s Degree with strong academic performance in a quantitative field, such as Mathematics, Statistics, or Economics. Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years Sales Business Intelligence or Sales Leadership experience
- 10+ years Sales Performance Management, Business Intelligence, Analytics, or Predictive Modelling experience
- Experience managing/mentoring an analytics team within a corporate environment
- Experience standing up a data warehouse and new BI tools
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.