The Category Merchant (Buyer) is responsible for managing a product line or group of product lines for sales, margin and supply chain impact including turn results. The specific role is responsible for Commercial Office Furniture sold through StaplesAdvantage.Com and our B2B Sales Force. This includes assortment planning, merchandise and vendor selection, negotiation, financial planning, inventory impact implications, advertising plans, merchandise presentation, distribution, vendor relations and administration for assigned lines. With guidance from Director Buyer, Merchandiser (Director Buyer) or VP, DMM develops and executes strategies for driving sales and margin, and competitive differentiation.
- Develop a realistic and effective business plan for each product line to achieve budgeted goals in sales, margin, supply chain impact (including turns), and drive execution of plan. Identify alternatives for driving sales in face of negative trends. Develop and approve disposition plans
- With support from Director Buyer or VP,DMM develop and execute strategy for product lines taking into account cross-functional implications. Review business plans alignment with company strategic objectives and goals
- Choose items and vendors for assigned product line(s). Negotiate with vendors for lower total delivered cost, volume incentives, rebates, advertising and other applicable allowances. Meet with vendors in development of marketing plans
- Merchandise assigned line(s) to ensure service levels with minimum inventory investment and maximum gross margin. Effectively manage impact on total supply chain by leveraging knowledge of inventory turns and logistics to secure best delivered costs
- Review and approve financial and item forecasts with Planners. Manage adjusted margins and work with Director Buyer or VP,DMM for solutions.
- Partner effectively with Marketing, POG, Inventory Management, Stores, NAD and other functional areas as needed to achieve corporate goals.
- Utilize appropriate resources to gather data.
- Interpret basic financial statements, total costs to serve the product, financials levers and metrics used in Merchandising to understand current and future trends. Identify exceptions and seek additional information when data discrepancies are found.
- Exhibits proactive communication, assess the need for immediate action.
• Bachelor Degree:
• Minimum of 5 years total experience in buying related functions (buying-merchandising, planning, Inventory management). Prefer experience in all listed functions. Buying, Planning, and Store experience required.
Essential Skills Required:
1. Strong knowledge of industry trends, assortment planning, planograms, customer buying patterns, inventory management, logistics and marketing techniques.
2. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of financial analysis and forecasting.
3. Strong negotiation skills.
4. Strong influencing skills, verbal and written fluency.
5. PC literate with the ability to develop and manipulate spreadsheets.
6. Ability to drive sales and margin results.
7. Ability to build partnerships across the organization.
8. Exhibit proactive communication; assess the need for immediate action.
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.