As our company slogan states, the Staples’ Supply Chain is Making Things Happen for our customers every day through our network of more than 30 warehouses, 1300 1200+ stores, and hundreds of delivery trucks.
And even though we already operate the best supply chain in our industry, we need talented individuals like you to help us leverage advanced analytics and optimization algorithms to achieve breakthrough performance levels.
The Scientist is responsible for applying advanced analytical methods to drive business-critical decisions at Staples. Using mathematical optimization, statistical analysis and machine learning the individual plays a key role in supporting the development of state-of-the-art solutions to complex decision-making problems.
These problems will come from all parts of the Staples Supply Chain and will include challenges like:
- Developing and implementing vehicle routing algorithms to optimize last mile parcel delivery and build optimization models to support the development of an international transportation network using multiple modes including Truck load, LTL and ocean freight
- Developing demand prediction models to estimate transportation and labor capacity and build scheduling tools to support improvements in delivery speed and customer service while driving growth and increase profitability
- Building and deploying algorithms that reduce order fulfilment costs across the Staples warehouse and transportation network through robotic automation, process control, and capacity optimization
- Work closely with key business partners to understand critical, complex, data-driven business and operations challenges, and then apply analytical methods to solve them – resulting in a significant, positive impact on the Staples’ bottom-line.
- Research, design, and implement data models and innovative algorithms to analyze diverse sources of data to realize actionable results
- Communicate results to executive leadership
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics or related field, plus 1-3 years industry experience
- Hands-on experience with mathematical modeling, and mathematical optimization techniques and technologies as well as advanced machine learning, data mining, statistical inference
- Hands-on experience with querying databases in order to drive required analysis independently and swiftly
- Excellent ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Keen attention to detail, and ability to dive deep
- Experience developing large scale systems using parallel and distributed computing
- Experience working with development toolsets such as Spark, Hadoop, Python, C++, Java, R, H2O, Shiny, Docker, MYSQL, Teradata, NOSQL, etc.
- Experience using deterministic and non-deterministic mathematical programming, constraint satisfaction, advanced supervised and unsupervised learning techniques, natural language processing, robotics, markov decision process, and control theory
- Experience with various areas of the supply chain such as customer order, inventory, warehouse, and transportation management
- Experience with financial modelling
- The ability to think big, manage ambiguity to move quickly and deliver results in an entrepreneurial environment
- Fearless but thoughtful in their pursuit of results
- Flexible and resourceful, and easily adaptable to changes in environment and prioritization
- Possess excellent business judgment, and a practical, common-sense approach to getting things done
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Staples is committed to providing accommodation to people with disabilities throughout the job application and interview process to the point of undue hardship. If you require an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact a Customer Care Representative at 1-877-782-7537.