Furniture Installation Lead, M-F, 6:30am-3pm
Responsible for the daily activities related to the installation of Allsteel contract furniture systems. Duties may also include: delivery, assembly, installation, repair and service of warranty and non-warranty office furniture case-goods and seating. Assists in training and provides work direction to furniture delivery, installation, and repair associates. Reports to Furniture Operations Manager or Regional Furniture Operations Manager.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide supervision, work direction and training to internal and third party contract systems furniture installers to ensure proper installation in a timely fashion
- Must be able to calculate estimated man-hour requirements to complete installations per customer’s timeframe, and successfully deliver job completion within those man-hours; maintain jobsite time sheets for installation crews
- Must be qualified in reading construction and CAD installation blueprints, and capable of field measuring a worksite in preparation for installation
- Load system furniture orders onto truck and delivers and stages product at the customer’s site for installation
- Complete furniture assembly/installation as per installation specifications and blueprints to meet customer’s satisfaction; inspect furniture for proper operability according to manufacturer’s guidelines
- Perform a chalk layout for furniture placement and identify any aisle spacing problems; must be knowledgeable in local building spacing codes
- During chalk layout must be able to locate electrical and communications cores if required; must understand contract furniture systems electrical requirements for building hook-ups and be able to identify electrical distribution requirements on installation blueprints
- Install all types of free-standing furniture, panel and modular systems including placement, leveling, wipe-down, and touch-up of metal and wood furniture at customer’s location
- Attend pre-installation meetings as required
- Conducts post-installation walk-through’s with the appropriate Staples CEBI personnel to identify any punch list requirements
- Follows all safety procedures in the performance of job duties by observing and enforcing local, state and federal OSHA and DOT safety rules and regulations
- Encourage safe work behaviors, and promptly corrects conditions and unsafe behaviors which may lead to accidents
- Daily interaction with customers, division furniture staff, and furniture operations management
- May be required to unload incoming furniture trucks using material handling equipment (i.e., forklift, pallet jack)
- May be required to load transactional furniture orders onto truck and deliver product to customer, complete furniture assembly/installation as per installation specifications to meet customer satisfaction; inspect furniture for proper operability according to manufacturer’s guidelines
- May be required maintain an efficient two-day turn-around on all furniture repair service calls, and completes all required furniture service/repair paperwork (warranty or non-warranty)
- May be required to unload incoming furniture trucks using material handling equipment, i.e., forklift, pallet jack
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in working as a contract furniture installer with additional experience desired in installing several contract furniture systems (i.e. Hayworth, Herman Miller, Steelcase, etc.); must be experienced in using hand and electrical tools to assemble furniture
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be D.O.T. certified with 2 years’ experience and a good driving record and physically qualified to drive by passing a DOT physical
- Ability to read and speak the English language sufficient to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records
- Ability to lift, move or carry up to 100 pounds
- Demonstrated good knowledge of metro area
- Prior experience with hand truck/dolly type equipment; on-the-job training for pallet jack and OSHA training for stand-up lift is required
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills
- Time management and organizational skills
- Good leadership skills
- Ability to work under short lead-times and deadlines
- Demonstrated competence in writing installation project and problem reports
- Ability to manage customer relationships during the installation process
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions furnished in written and oral form
- Knowledgeable in the operation of warehouse equipment and lightweight tools, i.e., use of a forklift or pallet jack to move furniture, as well as lightweight tools to install and/or repair furniture
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work requires physical effort and use of motor skills requiring manual dexterity. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, push/pull, or balance weight for extended periods of time. The employee must frequently lift, move, and/or carry between 70 to 100 pounds. With mechanical assistance, employee will occasionally move up to 300 pounds. Employee will regularly drive a delivery truck and must be able to enter and exit the truck throughout the day. Regular operation of material handling equipment that requires manual dexterity and use of lightweight tools requiring some coordinated movements. Activities include using a forklift or pallet jack to move furniture; and lightweight tools to assemble, install or repair furniture.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Drives to job sites and may drive delivery routes and in all types of weather. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly operates warehouse equipment and lightweight tools. Using proper safety procedures will eliminate any potential hazards. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Staples Supply Chain and Logistics is recognized as one of the top supply chain organizations within North America. With an extensive fulfillment and delivery network providing services for three main business units, we are able to deliver customer orders next day to 98% of the U.S. population, not to mention or Distribution Centers supporting our Retail Stores. Our 10,000 Supply Chain & Logistics associates throughout North America continue to “make more happen” through the integration of people, process and technology. We sell more than 2 million SKUs and are continually adding more products for our customers. We continue to invest in our people, capabilities and technology to deliver “Every product our customers need, when they want it, where they want and how they want it.” Without a doubt, our Supply Chain differentiates us from our emerging competitors.
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.