As our company slogan states, the Staples’ Supply Chain is Making Things Happen for our customers every day through our network of more than 30 warehouses, 1300 1200+ stores, and hundreds of delivery trucks. And even though we already operate the best supply chain in our industry, we need talented individuals like you to help us leverage advanced analytics and optimization algorithms to achieve breakthrough performance levels.
The Associate Scientist is responsible for supporting research, development, and deployment of advanced analytics based applications at Staples such as transportation optimization, vehicle routing, capacity forecasting engine, robotic execution system, order fulfilment logic, warehouse productivity optimization by closely working with key business, analytical, and technical partners.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong foundation in advanced analytical methodologies
- Hands-on programming experience
- Solid problem-solving skills
- Work closely with key business partners to understand critical, complex, data-driven business and operations challenges, and then apply analytical methods to solve them – resulting in a significant, positive impact on the Staples’ bottom-line.
- Identify and monitor key performance levers for important initiatives and ensure that we can exceed performance and cost targets
- Develop tools (reporting, visualization as well as planning) and deploy them for use by functional teams to support strategic and tactical initiatives
- Work closely with database developers and architects to build data models and develop a framework to enable a data driven problem solving environment
- Research, design, and implement data models and innovative algorithms to analyze diverse sources of data to realize actionable results
- Communicate results to executive leadership
- MS in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics or related field, plus 2-4 years industry experience
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Applied Physics or related field, plus 0-3 years industry experience
- Hands-on experience with mathematical modeling, and mathematical optimization techniques and technologies as well as familiarity with machine learning, data mining, statistical inference
- Hands-on experience with querying databases in order to drive required analysis independently and swiftly
- Excellent ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Keen attention to detail, and ability to dive deep
- Experience with developing standalone decision support applications to support
- business planning or execution
- Experience building analytical models: optimization, statistical and machine learning
- Experience with Supply Chain network design tools like Supply chain guru
- Experience with various areas of the supply chain such as customer order, inventory,
- warehouse, and transportation management
- Experience with financial modelling
- The ability to think big, manage ambiguity to move quickly and deliver results in an
- entrepreneurial environment
- Fearless but thoughtful in their pursuit of results
- Flexible and resourceful, and easily adaptable to changes in environment and prioritization
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.