The Senior Manager will lead a team of Analysts supporting the Staples Canada Merchants. This leader will collaborate and support the needs of the Canadian Merchant team in regards to matters around pricing, promotional effectiveness and strategies to deliver on stated BU objectives, while influencing leadership on innovation and change. The Senior Manager should be a very good communicator, can work independently and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where priorities can shift
This may include, but is not limited to, developing and implementing pricing strategies to grow the business, as well as leading the implementation of pricing strategies in collaboration with the Canadian merchant team.
This manager will also be responsible for influencing pricing policies, coordinating reporting that provides insight, leading the execution on plans to improve selling profits / shaping demand across Staples customers, and delivering operational support to optimize selling margins. Deep understanding of the Canadian marketplace is expected and regular travel to the Canadian office should be expected.
• Lead collaboration with business partners to drive improved performance of sales and profit metrics.
• Make best decisions for the company using all inputs, past performance, using experience and strategic sources of information provided.
• Establish team and departmental objectives.
• Influence and communicate pricing department policies and offering.
• Lead and help design successful execution of all Staples Digital System (SDS) activities that related to pricing
• Provide strategic oversight/interpretation of descriptive statistics and modeling (regression and clustering) to ensure insights are being appropriately and accurately interpreted
• Ensure seamless integration of analytics to evaluate marketing and sales tactics
• Identify and develop KPI’s to measure, monitor and report performance and develop plans to course correct where necessary
• Analyze current and future product competitiveness and market position and work with Canadian merchandising to make recommendations portfolio management, and overall product strategy
• Provide analytic support and market insights to cross-functional project teams
• Establish a culture where innovation and change are prioritized and associates are confident in recommending change.
• Drive change management with team, utilizing existing & future Staples Systems and tools.
• Lead and own Merchandising and Marketing relationships
• Own and drive ongoing interactions with the Canadian category Managers, Directors and Divisional VP’s
• Acts as business owner on cross-functional teams with other departments, including Finance, Merchandising, and SDS.
• Oversee and assign responsibilities, performance and development of team
• Conduct performance appraisals for direct reports; coach/develop direct and indirect reports
• Own and develop team organization structure, employing crucial conversations, as well as recognizing and rewarding success
• Review pay actions for direct and indirect reports
• Mentor and coach managers and senior associates to optimize hiring & development.
• Responsible for ongoing evaluation and optimization of team productivity, including the management and monitoring of associate metrics. Includes ability to manage crucial conversations as necessary, as well as recognizing and rewarding success.
• Work collaboratively and provide great customer service to the end customer – Canadian Merchant team
• Ability to quickly react and deliver needs/requests from the Canadian. Merchant team
• Leverage common systems and bring new insight into the business that positively support business objectives and supports the goals set out by the individual category managers
• Define and communicate Pricing Department offerings to our internal customers
• Optimize productivity of team and simplify engagement process with Canadian Merchants
• Achieve budgeted financial metrics
• Define and manage department metrics
• Influence pricing strategy
• Bachelor’s Degree. Master’s degree preferred, strong understanding of Economics, Statistics, Pricing, Marketing, and Finance (particularly how decisions impact the P&L)
• 7-10 years of relevant business experience in market research, forecasting, strategic planning and/or category management. Previous experience in marketing, pricing, sales, finance, or business analytics is preferred
• Proficiency in modeling and reporting tools, specifically, Excel, SAS, R, SQL, Tableau, Micro Strategy, and Alteryx
• Superior communication skills, verbal and written (PowerPoint presentation and oral presentation skills are required)
• Deep understanding of the Canadian marketplace is preferred
• Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Excellent written/oral communication skills including ability to effectively sell ideas to others and influence sales leadership or other decision-makers
• Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
• Strong decision-making ability
• Strong negotiation skills
• Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task a must
• Ability to work in a team environment yet be self-directed, proactive, and action-oriented
• Ability to work well in a dynamic environment – adaptability
• Demonstrated Strategic thinking and creative problem-solving activities
• Proactive, quick, decisive, self-motivated individual who can handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
• Able to keep initiatives moving on time, on budget, and with attention to detail. Able to foresee and prevent problems in advance and fix any issues quickly
• Strong analytical skills; Able to articulate the most important questions needed answer, identify the best data and metrics to answer those questions, and communicate analytic results in understandable and actionable way.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; Team-orientation, with an affinity for influencing and working across functions in a dynamic often-changing environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
• Strong manager and developer of people
• Deep understanding of the Canadian Marketplace preferred
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.