Senior Data Scientist, Staples digital solutions role is responsible for applying machine learning techniques to drive innovation for eCommerce discovery properties at Staples. Utilizing sophisticated algorithms and big data technologies, the individual will build capabilities for modeling search relevancy and ranking strategies. This position involves a combination of R&D and consultative activities, and the successful candidate will have an opportunity to directly impact strategic planning and future directionality of core technologies and data science services at Staples.
• Partner with Business Units, Product Development, and Product Management teams to identify and work on high-impact projects utilizing big data analytics and machine learning
• Work with high dimensional and fast moving data to build adaptive learning systems, data science products and through your work have direct impact on revenue and bottom line
• Be involved in all stages of a data science product development from definition, design, development and delivery
• Research new ways for modeling and predicting relevancy and ranking strategies - Influence Staples go to market strategy by category, by business unit, and customer segment
• Work with a wide array of structured and unstructured data sources including relational and NoSQL databases and formats including text, image and audio/video
• Apply rigorous analytical methods and analyze levers that can drive growth and profitability across our product and services offerings
• Research, design, implement and validate cutting-edge algorithms to analyze diverse sources of data to achieve targeted outcomes.
•MS/PhD in Computer Science/Engineering/Operations Research/Statistics/Physics or a related technical discipline
•5 years of experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
•7 years of programming experience in one of the languages like Python/R/Ruby/Perl/Shell/C/Java or equivalents
•Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in advanced analytics space
•Minimum 3 years of work experience in developing search relevancy and ranking algorithms
•Preferred PHD with advanced mathematical training in mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, forecasting models and margin engineering (cross elasticity, demand curve modeling)
•Demonstrated experience/SME in machine learning, statistical analysis and algorithm development including publications, patents and contributions to open source code
•Expertise with building data science products from design to delivery
•Working with large data sets in distributed systems such as Hadoop, Teradata, etc
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.