The Senior Manager Finance Planning
& Analysis manages the business performance
management process for their Business Unit.
Responsibilities include analysis, reporting
and strategy support balancing Expense & Service. Activities include developing
key KPI’s, annual budget plan, monthly forecasts, analytical support for key
operating metrics, etc. There will be frequent and regular communication with
cross functional departments. Role will
be an advisor, partnering with Key Business Unit management teams, to drive
business insights, facilitate change and improvement for Retail costs while
protecting service to customers. This position will be a key member of the North
American Finance team and will report to the Director of Retail Financial
Planning & Analysis.
- Financial Planning and analysis
for Retail functions.
- Perform review of weekly & monthly
results and produce executive level summaries with commentary for Business
Reviews with Executive Leadership.
- Analyze and forecast monthly
operating expenses for Business Unit, incorporating impact of changes to key
- Oversee, coordinate and administer the annual
budget process for Business Unit expense.
- Think analytically, focus on the
big picture, ability to drill into the detail and disseminate key insights.
- Understand how the business works
and the upstream and downstream activities that impact and are impacted by Business
- Strategic planning and development
for key processes in Business Unit.
- Communicate related strategy,
concepts efficiently and effectively to a senior executive audience.
- Quickly adapt to shifting
priorities while maintaining focus on the broader business.
- Ensure all key internal customer
requests for financial information, questions and ad-hoc issues are handled in
a timely, professional manner.
- Maintain an understanding of
Finance concepts, methods, standards, principles, and technology; make sound
decisions and recommendations based on that understanding.
- Ability to form strategy and apply
a comprehensive knowledge of current and evolving best practices and industry
- Serve as a Finance thought leader – build
financial models that can predict outcomes reliably and accurately
- Manage the operational performance management
process including monthly operational reporting, financial forecasts &
- Manage team and work to address
talent management, resource planning, etc. Select and hire employees for the core
- Provide support, training,
mentoring, and development to staff on an ongoing basis to ensure the
department performs at a maximum level.
- Guide and influence people,
processes, and resources to support the best interest of the business.
- Build trusting relationships with
business leaders and partners.
- Responsible for proactively
preventing problems as well as addressing and independently guiding problem
- Bachelor's degree in business
administration, accounting, finance, or related field
- 10 or more years of progressive
- At least 5 years of progressive management experience
- Experience working with generally
accepted accounting principles and accounting software
- Strong interpersonal skills for
interacting with Business Unit, Finance partners, and Executive Leadership
- Strong analytical and problem
solving skills, excellent attention to detail required
- Advanced presentation skills for
educating internal business partners on emerging trends for Service &
Expense and presenting to the Executive Leadership team
- Exceptional planning and
organizational skills to balance and prioritize work
- MBA or master’s degree in a
- Experience synthesizing complex
results into communicable insights.
- Experience working within a large public
Staples is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity,
sexual orientation, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability,
or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.