The Senior Engineering manager for eCommerce Engineering will be accountable for strategy and execution for Staples Digital Solutions portfolio. The scope of this position includes the understanding and expanding the capabilities of eCommerce platform and also implementing integration with other Staples’ systems. Development of strong relationships with Staples Business Unit partners, Stakeholders and peers is essential.
The Manager is also responsible for continuous improvement of product, stability and development processes with the goal of maximizing the use of our people and technical resources. The Manager is responsible for coaching, performance evaluation, training and career path counseling of their team. The Manager often guides the business user on the effective use of technology and its application. The Manager will develop plans and manage projects as needed
- Lead full life-cycle software development. Drive the development process through design, implementation, and deployment.
- Maintain a high-level understanding of dependencies that could lead to scheduling risks
- Ensure key departmental metrics are achieved assuring our technical commitment to operational excellence
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology, business processes and practices to continually improve applications and systems processes
- Recruit and hire new associates. Provide supervision for direct reports including hired services contractors. Establish individual performance goals, review performance against goals and provide coaching for associate development. Plan and recommend salary increases, as appropriate
- Provide management with analysis of current applications and systems processes. Make recommendations to management on opportunities to apply systems technology to improve business process
- Provide input into the long-range plans which may include requirements for hardware, software, and/or technical resources while protect current investments. Communicate with the business or other technology departments as it relates to these requirements.
- Provide input into annual cost center and project budgets. May manage spending against budget.
- Ensure all areas of responsibility are fully operational, maintaining stability, reliability, and sustainability.
- Ensure successful and timely delivery of all project components within area of responsibility following methodologies, standards and strategies
- Work closely with the executive team to develop a software roadmap for future features and improvements
- Mentor team members, encouraging career and personal growth
- Collaborate effectively across teams, including outside of engineering
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- 12+ years of relevant, industry development experience
- 7+ years of experience leading a team of 5-10 engineers
- 5+ years of experience building Search engine using Solr/Elastic Search technologies.
- Strong foundation in software architecture and design
- Fluency with Java, C#, or similar (we use mostly Java)
- Openness to new technologies and creative solutions
- Comfortable working within a fast-paced high growth environment
Make More Happen with a career at Staples! Apply now!
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.