Area Vice President, Inside Sales
The Area Vice President, (AVP) role in Mid-Market Inside Sales is charged with leading the Loyalty, Growth and Retention teams. The AVP role is primarily responsible for the development and execution of the strategic sales priorities of an established sales force. He or she is responsible for delivering incremental sales growth, retention and profit by holding directors accountable to ensuring sales managers exceed aggressive goals and objectives. The AVP must ensure the sales process is executed consistently and optimally across the workforce; they are being innovative while implementing sustainable and scalable long term solutions and creating one team of expert sellers. This individual must establish, gain consensus on and implement sales strategy and ensure the company exceeds revenue and profit objectives. The AVP has multiple Sales Directors reporting to them who lead and hold accountable teams of Sales Managers.
- Establish priorities and accountabilities for leading initiatives related to sales, retention and margin objectives.
- Establish priorities and accountabilities for field leadership. Guide activities and monitor progress toward the achievement of annual goals, including leadership competencies, growth, penetration, sales and gross margin goals.
- Ensures the execution of tactical and operational segments of the sales plan for all products and services relevant to regional scope.
- Work with the VP to set the strategic direction of the business.
- Actively participate as a member of the senior leadership team to collaboratively establish priorities, objectives, and plans for implementation.
- Engage with customers for larger project or programmatic sales opportunities.
- Model the way for Sales Directors in terms of successful executive sales engagement; advance the sales process as required and assist in the closure of key sales opportunities.
- Effectively implement and monitor personnel programs such as compensation, performance appraisals, and professional development.
- Ensures the full and complete compliance of all selling activities within the area of responsibility to business unit standards. Participates in quarterly account reviews for top accounts.
- Develop management team and sales associates to maximize their potential as leaders and ensure revenue growth and maximization of profit.
- Evaluates and maintains customer pricing and profitability.
- Creates an environment of success while building a strong team.
- Monitors the Inside Sales Account Management team performance and communicates results to individuals, teams, market, and headquarters.
- Travel up to 30% of the time.
- Bachelor Degree
- 7 to 10 years of related experience, with strong demonstration of leading and holding people managers accountable to driving team results
- Creative selling, project management skills and strategic planning ability
- Ability to independently set targets, design growth plans and hold direct reports accountable to executing on those plans
- Ability to lead, motivate, and manage for results
- Demonstrated ability to effectively drive change while building consistency across teams
- Ability to interface at the most senior levels at a customer site as well as across the home office
- Strong analytical skills, with ability to multi-task and self-direct
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer relationship skills, ability to influence and collaborate throughout Staples
- Strong business, financial operations, and technical acumen
- Demonstrates consultative selling skills
- Demonstrates strong teambuilding attributes
- Computer literacy, including competency related to MS-Windows-based applications
- Proficient in customer relationship management tools
- Experience leading Inside Sales teams
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.