Senior Software Engineer - PICK/Linux Environment
Senior Software Engineer creates or modifies highly complex programs, modules, routines, scripts and data objects from a detailed design where performance, efficiency, and reliability are critical to the entire system. They understand interactions and interfaces in the systems they support, and have a broad knowledge of multiple business processes. While this position has no direct reports, it does begin to manage and coordinate resources on assigned projects. They are responsible for the correctness of the systems being developed. They are skilled and experienced in all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle. Are involved in application development, meeting with their users to determine needs and mentoring more junior associates. They have a thorough knowledge of application systems and collaborate in the development and execution of project plans with project management.
- Develop a broad and in-depth knowledge of Staples business processes and system environment
- Create or modify highly complex programs, modules, routines, scripts and data objects from a detailed design where performance, efficiency, and reliability are critical to the entire system
- Design, develop, test and implement software functionality
- Test, implement and maintain technical upgrades
- Monitor the use and performance of systems
- Develop application documentation
- Identify, isolate and resolve malfunctions related to software
- Consult with technical staff and users on technical issues relating to systems
- Compliance with technical standards, policies and procedures
- Perform administrative duties, including training, staff meetings, status reports, etc
· Bachelor’s Degree with a major in data processing and/or information systems with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience as a Senior Programmer/Analyst.
· 3 - 5 years’ experience in programming using PICK in a Unix/Linux environment – jBase preferred but Universe and Unidata is okay as well.
· Java or C# or Visual Basic a plus
· Primary experience should be with medium scale Unix or Linux systems such as AIX or Red Hat Linux
· Knowledgeable in standard programming languages and coding methods
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
· Ability to understand user needs