Embroidery Operator - Evening Shift
This job uses a multihead embroidery machine and related embroidery equipment to embroider designs (e.g., company names, university logos, etc.) on hats such as baseball hats and stocking hats. This job is cyclical in nature. Multihead Operators, Finish Cap review an embroidery work order, set up for the order, run the order, tear down after the order, and then begin the process again with the next order. The goal of this job is to embroider high-quality designs in an accurate, efficient, and safe manner with minimal errors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews embroidery work orders.
- Determines which work orders need to be run based on priority.
- Verifies they have been given the correct hats to embroider.
- Sets up for embroidery work orders.
- Uses work order to determine proper design placement on the hat.
- Selects which design backing to use based on design size and type of hat.
- Uses cap frame to attach cap and design backing to each hat.
- Sets up multihead embroidery machine (e.g., threads, bobbins, and needles) and programs it based on the work order.
- Loads a hooped hat onto the multihead embroidery machine.
- Runs a test sample to check placement and design quality.
- Obtains production assistant’s approval of the test sample before continuing with the work order.
- Runs embroidery work orders.
- Loads a hooped hat onto each head of the multihead embroidery machine.
- Starts the multihead embroidery machine and monitors it as the designs get embroidered on the hats.
- Removes hooped hats from the multihead embroidery machine once the machine has finished embroidering the designs.
- Rehoops the hats if there is more than one design to be embroidered on the hat.
- Continues the hooping and embroidery process until all designs have been embroidered on the hats.
- Applies stickers to hang tags when necessary.
- Monitors equipment and design quality and makes adjustments as needed to ensure high-quality designs and proper design placement.
- Tears down after running embroidery work orders.
- Removes hooped hats from the multihead embroidery machine.
- Removes embroidery hoop from each hat.
- Inspects design and cuts any hanging or looped threads off of the design.
- Cuts or tears away design backing from the hat.
- Runs heater over designs (i.e., puff designs) when necessary.
- Accurately counts and packs hats back into the boxes they came in.
- Documents work order information on the outside of the box.
- Loads boxes on cart and takes them to the production assistant.
- Keeps records and maintains work area.
- Completes production tracking paperwork and verifies that it is accurate.
- Monitors equipment and notifies maintenance of any problems.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education Required:
- High School Diploma or GED
Minimum Prior Related Work Experience Typically Required:
- Less than 1 year
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of multihead embroidery machines and related embroidery equipment including their uses, adjustments, and maintenance.
- Skills in troubleshooting and solving problems.
- Ability to read and comprehend a work order.
- Ability to process work orders accurately, efficiently, and safely with minimal errors.
- Ability to maintain accurate counts utilizing basic math skills.
- Ability to use scissors and other small hand tools requiring hand/finger dexterity.
- Ability to stand, bend, twist, reach, and grip throughout work shift.
- Ability to use both arms to operate equipment.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds 3-4 feet high in order to move and stack boxes full of embroidered hats.
- Must be detail oriented to ensure high-quality embroidery design standards are met.
Essential Work Environment:
Work takes place in a well-lighted production environment with loud moving equipment and concrete floors. Work is labor intensive and involves continually repeating processes to mass produce products. Work requires standing for long periods of time.
Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.