Principal Performance Engineer
Staples Global Technology
Staples Technology team drives our business by developing the latest technologies to connect cutting-edge online, mobile, and retail experiences, and define the next generation of Staples. Our Global Technology team strategically influences all parts of our business from Marketing and Merchandising, Retail and Online, Supply Chain and Order Management, Infrastructure, Enterprise Data Solutions, Security, Privacy, and Compliance, to Tech Portfolio and Corporate Systems.
Global Technology is at the core of our business generating nearly $10 billion in online revenue alone. This allows us to invest heavily in industry leading platforms and tools that enable our teams to be successful and drive us to new levels as an online destination. Our mission is to deliver innovative, highly differentiated, simple-to-use solutions that generate increased value for our customers and the enterprise.
A job in GT will inspire you to challenge yourself, take risks, and raise the bar on your career!
About the Role
- Responsible for Software Performance Engineering and Tuning.
- Experience with web languages/technologies including HTML5, CSS3, Responsive Web Design, Angular, jQuery, Ajax, JSON, etc.
- Research issues in application/DB and middleware layer to root cause and tune Performance bottlenecks.
- Coordinate with application owners, DBA’s, middleware and other IT teams to identify bottlenecks, suggest and run exploratory tests and tune the system.
- Utilize knowledge of Application Performance Management (APM) tools like AppDynamics/New relic /Dynatrace etc. to troubleshoot performance issues.
- Strong knowledge in HP Loadrunner or JMeter or Silk Performer or similar tools
- Perform browser level performance testing and engineering using HTTP watch, Dynatrace AJAX or Firebug, Webpage Test.
- Publish periodic production traffic patterns, performance and resource utilization metrics.
- Review post production issues, suggest and/or run exploratory tests and tune the system.
- Review changes in production traffic pattern periodically and use them for performance testing and tuning
- Understand current performance testing processes and enhance them to lay down best practices for all aspects of performance testing.
- Determine the Risk of go-live for projects in an accurate manner.
- Research new tools for testing, tuning, monitoring
- Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science
- 5 or more years of Performance Engineering experience
- 3 years experience with client side performance optimization
- Experience with Installation, configuration and troubleshooting using APM tools preferably AppDynamics/New Relic
- Proficient in database monitoring and SQL tuning (like Oracle)
- Experience/exposure in PERF testing methodology/tools an added advantage
- Experience in implementing Open Source Performance Tools
- Knowledge in Architecting ecommerce platform from performance and stability
- Experience in troubleshooting performance problem for full stack (Browser, CDN, Application, Database)
- Cloud capacity planning experience including optimizing the capacity utilization and predicting the usage.
- Strong knowledge of workload analysis and bottleneck analysis.
- Minimum 3 years of Java development background
- More than 5 years Performance analysis and troubleshooting experience
- Strong Performance testing and engineering knowledge
- Expert knowledge of user experience best practices and ability to implement solutions based on unique needs of specific users
- Experience developing UI optimization
- Knowledge of GIT and source control management
- Knowledge of W3C standards and SEO principles
- Working knowledge of HP Loadrunner or JMeter or Silk Performer
- Working knowledge of http watch or Dynatrace AJAX or other browser testing plugins/tools
- Working knowledge of AppDynamics or New relic any other Application Performance Management tools.
- Ability to read thread dumps and perform GC analysis for trouble shooting performance issues.
- Solid understanding of Java, J2EE components, JVM statistics and tuning
- Experience with code profiling tools like VisualVM.
- Experience with one or more OS (AIX/ Linux) coupled with good understanding of internal structures (virtual memory, paging, and multi-processor systems) preferably using AIX NMON analyzer
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; ability to analyze complex technical problems.
- Exposure to CI/CD pipelines and implementing performance Integration to pipeline
- Experience performance testing Micro Service systems