Consultant Software Engineer
Staples makes it easy to make more happen with more products and more ways to shop. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples supports businesses with the products and services they need however and whenever they want. Whether it’s in-store, online or on mobile devices, Staples offers more products and services than ever. From office furniture, copiers, and paper to facilities and breakroom supplies, medical supplies, and Copy and Print services. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples has development offices in Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, Vancouver, and New York City.
As a Java Software Developer in Staples’ Enterprise Data Solutions (EDS) team you will leverage our internal and cloud-based big data systems to inform Staples’ business decision makers and power our marketing and sales systems. Our mission is to, “Empower decisive informed decisions through timely and accurate data and leading-edge technology.” You will collaborate with data scientists, EDS teammates and other Staples colleagues to help Staples optimize our business and drive personalization for our customers. Staples has a culture of continued personal development and investing in our employees. Let’s build great apps together.
· Develop applications Java that interact with SQL and NoSQL platforms.
· Follow standard development processes and best practice around source control, design/code reviews, and unit testing.
· Build and own your applications from development through operation in Production.
· Work both independently and in close collaboration with others on the team.
· Communicate your progress regularly.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science. a related field, or equivalent work experience
· At least 3 years of professional software development experience and 2 years building production applications in Java.
· Demonstrated ability developing web-based applications.
· Know how to access data and manipulate data from a variety of data sources (ex. Oracle, Couchbase, HIVE, MongoDB).
· Working knowledge of common development tools (git, Eclipse/IDEAj, Maven/Gradle).
· Ability to write scripts in common scripting languages (Bash, Python, Perl).
· Working in an Agile environment.
· Experience with RxJava or other reactive frameworks.
· Experience with Elastic Search, Solr, or related Search technologies.
· Ability to learn quickly as you go.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Have a positive, can-do attitude.