Manager Engineering eCommerce
In this role, you will be a Engineering Manager for the Staples Global eCommerce team managing initiatives in the Digital Conversation domain. As a top player in Ecommerce in online sales, Staples is reinventing its online presence by building the next generation platform to support web business in North America and 26 other countries. This is an exciting time to be part of the global eCommerce team, which is forming right now and is tasked to reshape the future direction of Staples. You will be part of a fast-paced, cross-functional team responsible for delivering world class Conversational capabilities that will be utilized across multiple channels - including web, mobile, tablet, social integration, retail stores, and others. It will be a great opportunity to be part of this team as it provides a huge growth potential.
As a key leadership role, the Digital Conversations Engineering Manager is accountable for managing and coordinating resources and processes to deliver software releases for capabilities areas such as Chat, Opinion Labs and Product Reviews for the Global organization while participating in defining the strategy for the product development team by driving initiatives that deliver on the business vision. The Manager is also responsible for operational and process excellence for an analyst team responsible to support key stakeholders such as sales and customer service.
- Work together with the Product Manager to plan and execute projects, ensure that teams have appropriate product and technical specifications, direction, and resources to deliver products effectively by establishing realistic estimates for timelines while ensuring that projects remain on target to meet deadlines
- Manage a team of Software Engineers and Chat analysts that are responsible for analyzing findings, making conclusions, and presenting recommendations related to the Chat program to Senior Management across multiple departments
- Responsibility for daily systems administration of the Chat application.
- Managing the creation and execution of all reports using the Chat application.
- Work closely with the Product Manager and other areas of IT for understanding the system’s functional and non-functional requirements
- Work in an agile environment and provide necessary leadership support to drive scrum activities
- Lead full life-cycle software development. Drive the development process through design, implementation, and deployment.
- Ensure key departmental metrics are achieved assuring our technical commitment to operational excellence
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology, business processes and practices to continually improve applications and systems processes
- Recruit and hire new associates. Provide supervision for direct reports including hired services contractors. Establish individual performance goals, review performance against goals and provide coaching for associate development. Plan and recommend salary increases, as appropriate
- Provide management with analysis of current applications and systems processes. Make recommendations to management on opportunities to apply systems technology to improve business process
- Provide input into the long-range plans which may include requirements for hardware, software, and/or technical resources while protect current investments. Communicate with the business or other technology departments as it relates to these requirements.
- Provide input into annual cost center and project budgets. May manage spending against budget.
- Ensure all areas of responsibility are fully operational, maintaining stability, reliability, and sustainability
- Ensure successful and timely delivery of all project components within area of responsibility following methodologies, standards and strategies
- Work closely with the executive team to develop a software roadmap for future features and improvements
- Mentor team members, encouraging career and personal growth
- Collaborate effectively across teams, including outside of engineering
- Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of relevant, industry development experience
- 3+ years of experience leading a team of 5-10 engineers
- Knowledge and background of Chat and Product Reviews within eCommerce Industry
- Experience working with Cloud based software providers
- A record of successful delivery of software applications as an individual, team leader and/or development manager
- Strong leadership, project management skills, time management, and problem solving skills
- Relevant experience with web services and REST
- Willingness to dive into software environments and technical issues
- Experience with Scrum methodology and Agile practices
- Extensive knowledge of business processes concentrated around E-Commerce applications
- Self-motivated, team player, action-and-results oriented
- Well organized, good communication and reporting skills
- Ability to successfully work under tight project deadlines