Developer (Boucherville, QC)
Staples Business Advantage TM is the leading business supplier in Canada, providing customers with a complete assortment of products and services, including office supplies, technology products, facility solutions, furniture, and business services. As the business-to-business division of Staples, Staples Business Advantage works with companies of 20 or more employees to develop customized programs and to provide dedicated account management to meet the needs of any business.
Staples Business Advantage Canada is headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario with eight distribution centres across Canada. The company employs over 1,500 associates and leverages over 170 delivery vehicles. Staples Business Advantage works in partnership with the Staples Business Advantage Contract division in the US and internationally to provide common programs for our international customer base.
Staples Business Advantage provides many advantages for all business sizes: a customizable online ordering system, excellent customer care, easy-to-browse catalogues, next day delivery capabilities and a dedicated sales organization to meet the needs of every type of business.
PURPOSE OF JOB
An Associate Programmer is an entry-level developer writing and modifying application programs. Individuals in the position should become capable of working on several programs at once. They work under the supervision of a manager and/or a more senior level associate. They are developing their technical and analytical skills and their jobs are defined exclusively by these skills.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Read manuals, periodicals and technical reports to learn software development methods that fulfill user’s requirements.
- Create plans describing the required steps to develop the programs.
- Conceive business logic programs and/or customer programs (GUI) to fulfill the goals of the functional analysis and/or detailed specs, while making sure to use programming standards.
- Convert technical specs into a series of detailed instructions and logical steps for language coding. Enter the programming code in the IT system. Enter commands in the computer to run and test the programs.
- Read printouts or view the screen display to find syntax or logic errors during the program tests or use diagnostic software to find errors.
- Replace, delete or modify the code to correct errors. Analyze, revise, modify a program to increase operational efficiency or to adapt to new requirements.
- Develop test data for simple tests.
- Support the users on pager (evenings + weekends), 1 week out of the number of developers.
- Give a weekly status report to the project lead. One status per project.
- Write documentation to describe software development, logic, coding and corrections. Write the user manual describing installation and operation procedures.
- Assist users in operational problem resolution.
- Take part in the project team and departmental meetings.
- Recreate the steps followed by the user to find the source of the problem and rewrite the program to correct any errors.
- Assume additional related responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL REQUIREMENT
- Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written in French and English.
- Strong organizing abilities, preferably detail oriented.
- Strong technical skills.
- Required technical knowledge: SQL (required); Database knowledge of SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 OR MySql (required); Oriented object knowledge of .Net OR Java; Knowledge of AGILE methodology; Knowledge of open source technology (Linux, Hadoop, Pig, Sqoop and/or Hive).
- Minimum 1 year experience as a developer, including programming experience in the SynergyDBL language or in another superior programming language.
- Cegep diploma (DEC) in Information Technology.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Science, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or other relevant field (recommended).