Principal Software Developer - Ecommerce
In this role, you will be a key developer and technical lead for the Staples Advantage eCommerce team working on initiatives for the Contract business. This role will be involved in numerous projects that are targeted to hitting the goals of the Contract Business. The position will report directly to an IT Manager and will interface with the Business for requirements and status of projects.
• Work closely with the business and other areas of IT to understand and contribute to the execution of Staples Advantage projects to achieve our part of the Contract Goals.
• Assure execution of projects by delivering assigned tasks in a timely manner.
• Ensure projects are deployed on time with little to no downtime.
• Ensure there is a clear ownership (accountability/responsibility) and focus to drive as well as resolve emerging streams of system development, integration, support and maintenance complexities.
• Establish and sustain a high level of partnership with the Business. Instill a level of confidence in technical knowledge in order to suggest and deliver solutions to business opportunities.
• Understand and help execute the technical roadmap developed for Staples Advantage, including adjustments as needed based on business environment and priorities.
• Provide technical leadership by helping to establish best practices, recommend design patterns, identify opportunities to refactor code, oversee project execution and mentor team members.
• Understand business requirements and make technical design decisions that fulfill them.
• Ensure compliance with PCI, SDLC and all other Staples systems management policies.
• Ensure technical design reviews and code reviews are performed for projects.
• Provide technical leadership lead and oversee project execution from a technical prospective.
• Serve as an escalation point for technical design decisions within the context of project scope.
• Participate in projects as a member of an Agile/Scrum team including project estimation, task creation, and driving to complete tasks in 2 week sprints.
• Work with the Business Analysts, Business Owners, QM Analysts, and Application Support Teams to understand all stakeholder requirements.
• Embrace, recommend and apply new technologies as needed.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or an Engineering Field plus 5-8 years or related technical experience.
• Must possess the ability to effectively communicate using strong verbal, written and listening skills.
• Must be able to adapt quickly to change without being afraid to take on new responsibilities in a fast-paced team environment while being self-directed, proactive, and action-oriented.
• Ability to come up with creative technical ways to resolved complex application and system issues.
• Ability to build work plans on how multiple project phases will be broken down and provide accurate estimates.
• Ability to prioritize multiple pieces of work into what is the most important and then work towards resolution.
• Must be able to work across a diverse group of people within the team and across multiple business units and multiple groups within each business unit.
• Strong project management and organizational skills with an understanding of SDLC processes and/or Agile methodologies.
• Strong leadership skills.
• Excellent diagnostic, debugging, and troubleshooting skills.
• Extensive knowledge of business processes concentrated around E-Commerce applications with large implementations of J2EE technologies.
• Expert level understanding of Java, core J2EE components, JVM statistics, and JVM tuning (preferably on WebSphere Application Server.)
• 5+ years in a production development environment, preferably with exposure to Order Management or CRM systems.
• 5+ years experience developing applications deployed on an enterprise strength application server (preferably on WebSphere Application Server.)
• 5+ years experience in each of the following:
o Object oriented development using Java
o SQL on a relational database, DB2 is preferred
• Extensive website experience with jQuery/AJAX and JSON.
• Proficiency with UNIX, Linux and Shell Scripting.
• Proficient with relational database managements systems; preferably DB2 and Oracle.
• Experience with WebSphere, WAS and WCBE experience is a plus.
• Masters Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or an Engineering Field plus 3-5 years of related technical experience
• Java certification and/or J2EE enterprise architect certification.
• Experience with one or more operating systems; AIX and Red Hat Linux experience is preferred.
• Experience with application code profiling tools and algorithmic analysis.
• Experience in managing technical leadership of projects and technical resources.
• Ability to motivate and mentor other team members.
Staples is committed to providing accommodation to people with disabilities throughout the job application and interview process to the point of undue hardship. If you require an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact a Customer Care Representative at 1-866-782-7537.